Learn about new CDT Dental Procedure Codes Changes, effect from January 1, 2014. These new codes represent a major shift by the ADA to recognize Caries Management by Risk Assessment (CAMBRA).
The American dental association updates the Current Dental terminology CDT procedure codes as a way of keeping up with the always changing tune in dental practice. Checkout this excellent learning presentation on CDT Coding Updates 2014
Dentists and dental benefit companies are always required to use latest codes whenever they’re submitting process claims for reimbursement of claims. Dental Procedure Codes are normally developed to be in line with how dentistry is done in the real world.
CDT Dental Procedure Codes Changes 2014
The new Dental Procedure codes changes for 2014 entail the following:
- New Dental Procedure Codes (29)
- Revised Dental Procedure Codes (18)
- Deleted Dental Procedure Codes (4)
- Subcategories and Descriptors Changes (7)
New Dental Procedure Codes 2014
The American Dental association has added a total of 29 new procedure codes that can be used for different dental cases. Treatment using 3D simulations image volumes is one of the advancement in technology that is picking up in the Dentistry filed, procedures using this technology will be coded with CDT code D0393. Digital subtraction of image volumes of the same modality will be enlisted under the code D0394.
D2921 is a billing dentistry code that will be used for reattachment of tooth fragment, incisal edge cusp, D2941 will be used for interim therapeutic restoration –primary tooth with D3427 tube used for Periradicular surgery without apicoectomy. The use of biological material to aid in soft osseous tissue regeneration in conjunction with perpendicular surgery should prompt coders to use D3431
Guided tissue regeneration, resorbable barrier per site in conjunction with Periradicular are expected to be recorded using CDT code D3432. Pulpal regeneration for interim medication replacement will use CDT code D3356 with Bone graft in conjunction with Periradicular surgery per tooth relying on CDT code D3428. Below is the complete list of 29 new CDT Procedure Codes:
- D0393 Treatment simulation using 3D image volume
- D0394 Digital subtraction of 2 or more images or image volumes of the same modality
- D0395 Fusion of 2 or more 3D image volumes of 1 or more modalities
- D0601 Caries risk assessment and documentation, with a finding of low risk
- D0602 Caries risk assessment and documentation, with a finding of moderate risk
- D0603 Caries risk assessment and documentation, with a finding of high risk
- D1999 Unspecified preventive procedure, by report
- D2921 Reattachment of tooth fragment, incisal edge or cusp
- D2941 Interim therapeutic restoration
- D2949 Restorative foundation for an indirect restoration
- D3355 Pulpal regeneration - initial visit
- D3356 Pulpal regeneration - interim medication replacement
- D3357 Pulpal regeneration - completion of treatment
- D3427 Periradicular surgery without apicoectomy
- D3428 Bone graft in conjuntion with periradicular surgery - per tooth, single site
- D3429 Bone graft in conjuntion with periradicular surgery - each additional contiguous tooth in the same surgical site
- D3431 Biologic materials to aid in soft and osseous tissue regeneration in conjunction with periradicular surgery
- D3432 Guided tissue regeneration, resorbable barrier, per site, in conjunction with periradicular surgery
- D4921 Gingival irrigation - per quad
- D5863 Overdenture - complete maxillary
- D5864 Overdenture - partial maxillary
- D5865 Overdenture - complete mandibular
- D5866 Overdenture - partial mandibular
- D5994 Periodontal medicament carrier with peripheral seal - laboratory processed
- D6011 Second stage implant
- D6013 Surgical placement of mini implant
- D6052 Semi-precision attachment abutment
- D8694 Repair of fixed retainers, includes reattachment
- D9985 Sales tax
Revised Dental Procedure Codes
Revisions have been made to the 2014 nomenclature and/or descriptor for the codes listed below. Please refer to your ADA CDT
2014: Dental Procedure Code manual for specific details regarding these revisions.
The revised CDT Codes are D0350, D2950, D3351, D3352, D3410, D3421, D3425, D3426, D4263, D4264, D4920, D5991, D6010, D6080, D7950, D7953, D7955, and D8693.
Deleted Dental Procedure Codes
The changes in CDT 2014 has also seen some codes being deleted and replaced by four other new ones. In this case, D0363 will be used for three dimensional image reconstruction using existing data including multiple images replaced by multiple existing codes.
CDT code D0363 that was used for cone beam three dimensional image reconstruction has been deleted. D3354 previously used for Pulpal regeneration has also been deleted as well as D5860 for Overdenture- complete by report and D561 Overdenture- Partial, by report. There are following four deleted dental procedure codes:
- D3354 Pulpal regeneration replaces D3355 Pulpal regeneration.
- D3354 Pulpal regeneration; replaced by D3355 Pulpal regeneration – initial visit; D3356 Pulpal regeneration – interim medication replacement; or D3357 Pulpal regeneration – completion of treatment
- D5860 Over denture – complete, by report; replaced by D5863 Overdenture – complete maxillary, or D5865 Overdenture - complete mandibular
- D5861 Overdenture – partial, by report; replaced by D5864 Overdenture – partial maxillary, or D5866 Overdenture – partial mandibular