Current Procedural Terminology codes are numbers (Codes) commonly assigned to all tasks and operations that a medical practitioner performs on a patient.
These codes are commonly used for the purpose of billing and coding so that insurance companies can be able to reimburse doctors for any service rendered. The codes are developed maintained and copyrighted by the AMA (America Medical Association).
This is a list of MRI CPT codes for 2013. CPT codes are useful when calling MRI centers to request prices or information. There are so many different options and areas of the body that having a simple 5 digit MRI code is easier, so the person you’re talking with knows exactly what type of scan you need. It’s also helpful for insurance since reimbursements happen based on the CPT code.
Find below the latest Radiology CPT codes for for MRI of Brain, Breast, Lumbar Spine and Shoulder:
CPT Codes for MRI Lumbar spineIn human Lumbar spine is represented by the 5 vertebrae in between the ribcage and the pelvis forming the largest segment of the vertebral column. Depending on the condition that one is treated on these parts of the body. Here under are the CPT Codes for MRI Lumbar spine that are usually used for the purposes of billing and coding of Lumbar spine MRI procedures:
- CPT 72148 MRI Lumbar Spine Without Contrast
- CPT 72149 MRI Lumbar Spine With Contrast
- CPT 72158 MRI Lumbar Spine With and Without Contrast
- CPT 97110 Therapeutic procedure, one or more areas, each 15 minutes; therapeutic exercise to develop strength and endurance, range of motion and flexibility
- CPT 97112 Neuromuscular reeducation of movement, balance, coordination, kinesthetic sense, posture, and/or proprioception for sitting and/or standing activities
- CPT 97113 Aquatic therapy with therapeutic exercises
- CPT 97124 Massage, including effleurage, petrissage and/or tapotement (stroking, compression, percussion)
- CPT 97140 Manual therapy technical (e.g. mobilization/manipulation, manual
- CPT 98940 Chiropractic manipulative treatment (CMT); spinal, one to two regions
- CPT 98941 spinal, three to four regions
- CPT 98942 spinal, five regions
- CPT 98943 extra spinal, one or more regions
CPT Codes for Brain/Head MRI/MRA/MRV with and without ContrastThe commonly used CPT codes for the Brain/Head MRI with and without Contrast are:
- CPT 70551 brain/Head w/o contrast
- CPT 70553 Brain/Head w/wo contrast
- CPT 70544 MRA/MRV w/o contrast
- CPT 70546 MRA brain w/wo contrast
CPT Codes for MRI ShoulderCommonly used Shoulder CPT codes are given below:
- CPT Code 29806 is the parent code in the shoulder scope section used to cater for any open procedures carried on the shoulder. It is CPT code responsible for Arthroscopy, shoulder, surgical; capsulorrhaphy.
- CPT Code 29807 is an arthroscopic shoulder procedure code normally used when arthroscopic shoulder stabilization and stabilization is carried out
- CPT Code 23472 Total shoulder Arthroplasty
- CPT Code 23470 Hemiarthroplasty Shoulder
- CPT Code 24363 Total Elbow Arthroplasty
- CPT Code 23455 Open Bankart Repair Capsulorrhaphy, anterior; with labral repair (eg. Bankart procedure)
CPT Codes for MRI Breast Cancer ScreeningBreast cancer occurs when malignant cells form in the breast tissues, there are specific CPT codes that are normally used by medical billers and coders to record any condition that one might be screened for in case of breast cancer:
- CPT Code 77057 Screening mammography, bilateral
- CPT Code 77052 Computer aided detection with further physician review for interpretation, with or without digitization of film radiographic images; screening mammography
- CPT Code 76499 Electrical impedance scan of the breast, bilateral (risk assessment device for breast cancer)
- CPT Code 99386 Initial preventive medicine evaluation and management, 40 to 64 years, new patient
- CPT Code 99387 Initial preventive medicine evaluation and management, 65 years and older
- CPT Code 99396 Periodic preventive medicine evaluation and management, 40 to 64 years, established patient
- CPT Code 99397 Periodic preventive medicine evaluation and management, 65 years and older
CPT Codes for Breast PumpsAlthough Breast Pumps Codes do not fall under Radiology category, we are mentioning them here because see a lot of Medical Coders wondering for lookup of precise breast codes to bill.
Breast pumps are generally considered durable medical equipment usually not covered as they are considered pumps for convenience. In exception conditions they are usually covered by insurance companies. The following are some of the CPT codes associated with breast pumps:
- CPT Code A4281 Tubing for breast pump, replacement
- CPT Code A4282 Adapter for breast pump, replacement
- CPT Code A4283 Cap for breast pump bottle, replacement
- CPT Code A4284 Breast shield and splash protector for use with breast pump, replacement
- CPT Code A4285 Breast shield and splash protector for use with breast pump, replacement
- CPT Code A4286 Locking ring for breast pump, replacement
- CPT Code E0603 Breast pump, electric (ac and/or dc), any type
- CPT Code E0604 Breast pump, hospital grade, electric (AC and/or DC), any type
You can also checkout new Echocardiogram CPT Codes and Cardiology CPT Changes to learn the new codes for Ablation, Angiography, PCI, PVAD and TAVR procedures.
You can view our previous post on Pap Smear CPT Codes for Pap Smear collection and screening as well as Gastroenterology CPT Codes for Abdominal Paracentesis and Peritoneal Lavage. In case, you are doing Mental Health billing you can benefit from our Psychiatry CPT Code tutorial.
Post a Comment
Webmaster reserves the rights to edit/remove comments that is found irrelevant, offensive, contain profanity, serves as spam or attempts to harbor irrelevant links. Please read our Comments Policy for details.